Friday, July 5, 2013

Introduction

I'm a city boy.

I've lived in New York City most of my life. The few years I lived somewhere else, it was also in a crazy, noisy, bustling city.

When I became a runner three years ago, of course I did what every other runner in New York does: I hit the roads in Central Park.

Awesome. Few places better to run in the world.

Yet.

Yet the more I ran and the more I read about running, I more I became drawn to running OFF roads and on "trails." Now, one can certainly argue than any sort of path, paved or not, is a "trail." But when runners speak of trails they usually mean something closer to natural -- dirt, grass, gravel, crushed stone.

Most of my running remains on roads, sidewalks, and other paved paths. But in my heart I am a trail runner.

And one thing that irks me is when folks -- even locals -- act like New York City has no nature... no trees... no grass... no dirt.

All lies. Lies, I say.

So last year I began a quest to do more running on trails.

This blog is about my journey to find as many trails within and near New York City as possible. I'll try to take pictures, do some research, and describe them.

My first big journey with this blog is actually OUTSIDE New York City. It's a "staged" marathon (possibly ultra) on several trails in upstate New York. That journey begins tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment